As the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Director for a large-scale PEPFAR-funded project, you will lead project monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts. The project seeks to improve access, retention, and adherence to effective HIV services and decrease stigma/discrimination for PLHIV affected by mental health (MH) issues (common and complex) and decrease health care worker stress, anxiety, and burnout to increase the quality of HIV/TB services in South Africa. You will develop monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems that include appropriate indicators, baseline data, targets and a plan to evaluate performance and produce timely, accurate and complete reporting. Under your guidance, the project will use monitoring data to maximize program impact. This position is contingent upon funding.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
* Develop and oversee the implementation of the Evaluation and Performance Measurement plan.
* Lead the development of relevant MEAL tools and, and provide MEAL-specific technical training, mentoring, and coaching to partners.
* Provide technical leadership for quality MEAL design, including tools, platforms and methods that are appropriate to the scope, context, and technical requirements of the project.
* Lead the collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, ensuring disaggregated data and the use of gender- and inclusion-related indicators to assess how the project is impacting different groups.
* Provide leadership for all assessments (baseline, midline, endline) and evaluation activities, including developing terms of reference and protocols for any externally commissioned work.
* Develop strong participant and community feedback and response mechanisms to ensure that program interventions are effective and accountable.
* Strengthen availability and use of high-quality data for decision making at all levels of the project. Integrate data analysis, reflection and interpretation and use with ongoing project activities, including gender and inclusion analysis.
* Strengthen CRS and partners’ data management and quality improvement systems, ensuring that data is audit worthy and readily available. Where problems exist, support the identification of solutions. Conduct data quality assessments of project partners.
* Lead and maintain a learning agenda and knowledge management system for the project, across all project components and partners.
* Contribute to program reports for submission to donor.
* Remain up to date on good practices and developments in M&E of mental health, HIV, and primary health care services to ensure program quality and impact.
Required languages – English
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 40%.
Education and Experience
* Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health, Statistics, Social Sciences, or other relevant discipline.
* Minimum 5 years MEAL experience with at least 2-3 years working in the area of public health and HIV, with progressively increasing responsibility.
* Demonstrated expertise in designing and implementing rigorous quantitative and qualitative research, rapid appraisals, and methods for data analysis.
* Hands-on practical experience setting up and managing MEAL systems for health programs in South Africa, and the ability to coach and train others in their use.
* Knowledge of MEAL issues and indicator development for HIV and mental health service delivery, policy and advocacy, and social norms change activities.
* Familiarity with PEPFAR indicators and reporting requirements.
* Excellent report writing, analytical and oral presentation skills.
* Experience in knowledge management and dissemination of learning.
* Demonstrated experience supervising, managing and developing staff.
* Familiarity with DHIS2 and Site Improvement through Monitoring System (SIMS).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
* Excellent relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills.
* Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
* Experience using CommCare, Power BI and/or other ICT4D platforms
* Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.