Terms of Reference
Senior Islamic Philanthropy (IP) Communications Associate (Pretoria), LICA-7 (UNOPS)
Private Sector Partnerships Service, Africa, UNHCR
Established in 1950, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. The organization has staff in more than 130 countries work to help the 80.5 million people who are forcibly displaced today. The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR’s Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources for refugees from the private sector. UNHCR has developed a Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025 which has the ambition of growing PSP into a service capable of generating $1 Billion annually and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
The Senior Islamic Philanthropy Communication Associate will support the production of communication assets for the Islamic Philanthropy campaigns including Ramadan and the Refugee Zakat Fund as well as other relevant appeals and campaigns throughout the year. They will report to the PSP Regional Communication Officer and work alongside colleagues across the region to develop communication assets to support engagement with the Muslim communities both in South Africa and regionally. We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in fundraising and communication, to become a steady and reliable asset to the PSP Africa fundraising operation.
This position will be responsible for delivering communication activities, content and materials to support PSP Africa’s fundraising and engagement program. The position will also be key to increase UNHCR brand awareness and positioning in across the region by creating and developing effective communication tools and campaigns that aim to raise funds, generate leads and public engagement. The incumbent is expected to demonstrate competencies and work experience in the area of fundraising campaigns, content development and communication strategy. The position, based in Pretoria, offers a unique opportunity to work within the PSP Africa team dedicated to raise funds and establish partnerships for UNHCR with the private sector in Africa.
- Title: Senior Islamic Philanthropy (IP) Communications Associate (Pretoria)
- Duty Station: Pretoria, South Africa
- Contract Type: UNOPS LICA-7 (Local Individual Contractor Agreement)
- Duration: 1 April 2021 – 31 December 2021
- Application closing date: 26 March 2021
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the PSP Regional Communication Officer, the Senior Islamic Philanthropy Communication Association will be responsible for the following:
- Fundraising communication and public engagement
- Support campaign content strategy and planning of Islamic Philanthropy engagement and other campaigns and appeals throughout the year;
- Plan and develop content and assets for use on diverse communication channels;
- Coordinate and plan social media assets including drafting of posts and conceptualizing content;
- Day to day liaison with PR, creative agencies and other suppliers on communications;
- Write briefs for videographers, photographers including scripts;
- Develop, organize and share content; Build trusted, effective relationships with the PSP and PI network;
- Research news hooks, story angles and creative opportunities to optimize communication;
- Stay abreast of current trends and techniques in social media and digital communication;
- Provide communication support as requested;
- Provide communications direction and support for UNHCR events;
- Perform other tasks as required. Monitoring and progress control:
- Produce reports, videos, fundraising communication materials, newsletters, etc. for donors as required.
- Prepare inputs for funding submissions, as appeals and reports.
Provide donor care.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required:
The ideal candidate will be required to have:
• Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Marketing, Business, Development or related field.
• Minimum of 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years with Bachelor or equivalent of:
• Experience and qualifications in Communications, Media or the PR industry;
• Experience in the development and execution of communications plans;
• Experience in content development, and of media monitoring.
• Excellent written, interpersonal and oral communication skills are essential;
• Understanding of and experience in fundraising/charity market in Africa;
• Strong track record developing compelling brand and communication strategy and producing communication content / assets, ideally with the aim to activate donors;
• Proven experience using social media platforms, tools and tactics for engagement;
• Experience working on communication campaigns with multiple stakeholders;
• Experience working with donors, clients and creative agencies;
• Strong research and analytical skills are important;
• Attention to detail, the ability to work independently and to tight deadlines are required.
Required: fluency in written and spoken English.
The successful candidate will be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
The position starts in April 2021 and it is a full-time role.