Lecturer - Short-Term Insurance
|Remuneration:||negotiable Market related|
|Benefits:||Pension and Risk Cover|
|Location:||Cape Town, Gauteng|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
Job descriptionThe Company
Milpark Education is a registered Private Higher Education Institution offering business management education that focuses on the areas of management and leadership, financial planning and insurance, and banking across South Africa and in other parts of Africa.
Milpark offers full-time, part-time and distance learning Higher Education (HE) and Further Education and Training (FET) qualifications, as well as career-focused short courses. The higher education qualifications offered start at NQF level 5, extend into levels 6 and 7, and culminate in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) at NQF level 8. Our short-term qualifications cover the spectrum from NQF level 5 through to NQF level 7.
Milpark Education has been rated as the Number One Private Provider of the MBA degree and was placed fifth in the overall rankings of accredited Educations in the 2012 PMR.africa national survey on accredited Educations offering MBA/MBL degrees in South Africa.
Milpark has five different Schools, each with its own unique focus:
2.School of Financial Planning and Insurance
3.School of Investment and Banking
4.School of Commerce
5.Milpark Business School
The Schools operate from campuses in Melville, Johannesburg, and Claremont, Cape Town, as well as from an office in Durban. Milpark has a diverse student body, which includes both school-leavers and employed adults. We offer examinations at 41 venues countrywide, and also accommodate international students.
The ideal candidate for this position will have industry experience working in the Short-Term Insurance Industry. You need to be passionate about taking technical material and content and presenting and teaching it in such a way that students will know what the practical implications will be for their clients. If you want to make a definitive contribution to raising the level of professionalism in the Short-Term Insurance Industry in Southern Africa, this is the role for you. This lecture position is in the Department of Financial Planning in the School of Financial Planning and Insurance.
Preference will be given to applicants from designated groups, and appointments will be made in line with our EE requirements.
The preferred location of Cape Town or Gauteng
If your application is not successful but we think you might be a good fit for another position at Milpark we will keep your CV in the pipeline in case an opportunity arises. If you would prefer that we don’t keep your CV in this manner, please feel free to contact us at target="_blank .
- Implement the assessment policy and procedures of Milpark in line with HEQC requirements with regard to assigned programmes and subjects
- Lecture and assess on assigned programmes in field of expertise.
- Manage the assessment drafting process for assigned subjects across programmes within timelines as require
- Conduct internal moderation on assigned subjects
- Sign off on all assessments on assigned subject
- Manage academic assessment discrepancies for assigned programmes and make recommendations to the Results Committee.
- Control and sign off of marks for assigned programmes
- Assist with academic policy development for the faculty processes
- Obtain input from industry to ensure innovation and relevance of teaching and to improve teaching material
- Take responsibility for all learning material as well as subject related information loaded on myMilpark
- Assist students with content related queries and deal with requests for extra student support
- Build good relationships with internal departments and part-time academics
- Serve on relevant academic committees
- Develop and document admission and exemption policies for the programme
- Develop RPL policy for a specific programme
- Oversee implementation of admission and selection policies for the assigned programmes (ensuring all entry criteria met and approval of selection and admissions)
- Track and manage student throughput on assigned programmes, in consultation with PMs, including the oversight of “at risk” student management
- Action items that come out of specific student surveys and focus groups, in coordination with programme managers
- Take responsibility and ownership for the coherence and relevance of the assigned programmes and areas
- Ensure adequate author briefing for new subjects
- Manage all assigned programmes with reference to quality of course content and teaching and student support
- Monitor curriculum development implementation, performance and quality of assigned programmes
- Prepare documentation (submissions) for registration (SAQA) and accreditation of programmes (HEQC) and for quality assurance (INSETA)
- Assist with preparation of Prospectus/Milpark Rules/similar
- Manage the review process of material for assigned subjects in line with Milpark’s processes and procedures
Recruitment, performance management and people development
- Recruit part-time academic staff (lecturers, examiners, critical readers, authors, moderators, tutors, supervisors, markers) for assigned areas
- Participate in “mock” lecturing process before appointment of part-time lecturing staff so as to assess capability
- Take responsibility for the quality of academic staff appointed and contracted on assigned subjects
- Manage induction and development of new part-time academic staff
- Manage the performance of part-time lecturing staff to ensure that part-time lecturers meet Milpark’s standards
- Take responsibility for part-time lecturer and examiner development of teaching and learning ability according to quality assurance requirements
- Address poor performance of part-time academic staff
- Improve and ensure student motivation
- Be available to meet with students in terms of an agreed schedule
- Ensure the student profiles are kept up to date with all contact intervention information and/or academic info
- Address student academic queries and disputes
- Provide academic consulting services to students, faculty and sales & marketing department
- Participate in HEQC/DoE/INSETA enquiries
- Consult with marketing and administrative departments in connection with student evaluation and feedback.
- Maintain professional relationships with all clients, Milpark management and staff.
Research & Publication
- Conduct research and produce publications or other research outputs in line with departmental objectives
- Assist with the research of faculty
- Write articles for industry publications
Take accountability for own development
- Expand own expertise on continuous basis
- Attend workshops, conferences, etc. in order to stay abreast of developments in field of expertise
- Engage with the professional and academic communities
- Assist in the delivery of special projects as determined by management
Education & Experience Requirements
- At least an NQF 6/7 short-term related qualification.
- RE 5.
- Minimum five years’ industry-related experience
Desired Behavioural competencies
- Excellent written communication skills
- Passion for education and for students
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good analytical skills and the ability to give high attention to detail
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Proven record of ability to manage time and to work to strict deadlines in a fast-moving and pressurised environment.
Posted on 03 Mar 10:52