Job descriptionApplications are invited for the above-indicated vacancy within Newzroom Afrika. The incumbent will report to the Executive: Technical Productions Operations.
The Archives Manager provides professional, high quality administration and coordination of media management and archival services, as well as managing and overseeing of the day-to-day operations of the Archives Division. The position includes the appraisal, processing and maintaining ALL archival material which is obtained by the organization. The archival material includes, but not limited to digital and manual collections. It also includes the supervision and management of all team members in the Archives Division as well providing archival and content information support to all internal stakeholders.
- Oversee the maintenance and management of electronic and manual based archiving records.
- Develop a firm understanding and knowledge base of the organization’s current archival records.
- Understand and preserve organisational memory of its heritage content.
- Provide regular and up to date integrated and comprehensive information (Current Awareness Services) to all stakeholder on existing content.
- Identify the most appropriate footage for internal and external client requests and provide accurate and appropriate content information.
- Ensure archived content are maintained and identifying content for weeding (clean-up) and deep archiving timeously in accordance to SOPs.
- Setup and review of archiving systems and software and implement changes and updated in conjunction with the IT Division.
- Establish and implementation of disaster recovery plan for content retention, backup and disposals.
- Communicate to all internal stakeholders on new and update archive management policies, SOPs and new content information.
- Setup and implementation of internal framework on record management and content acquisitions and provide guidance all internal stakeholder.
- Ensure an expert understanding of and keeping up to date with relevant legislation and regulations such as copyright act, licensing rights etc
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation and regulations such as copyright act, licensing rights etc.
- Manage budgets and resources within the archives division.
- Manage and supervise archivists and media managers.
- Conduct Performance Management reviews of all team members in the division.
- Provide training to archivists, media managers and other content users of various departments in the organization.
- Liaise with all external clients on content sales and shared content services.
- Attend workshops on content sales, customer services, rights management, related legislations and other relevant skillsets.
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal and external clients.
- Postgraduate bachelor's degree in Library and information Science or equivalent.
- Postgraduate diploma in archives and record management.
- 5-10 years work experience in acquisition, appraisal, processing, preservation, disposal of records, and making records available in accordance with company policies.
- Extensive experience in digital archives and database management.
- Knowledge of archival and preservation concepts, methodologies, and techniques.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of the processing and preservation of archival records (manual and digital).
- Management of back-up systems and understanding of copyright issues in a digital environment.
- Excellent computer literacy: operating on Windows-based environment and understanding of database management software.
- Advanced MS Office, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Should be able to communicate and foster a cooperative work environment effectively.
- Should be able to work independently with self-initiative and minimal supervision, flexibility, and service orientation.
- Organisational skills: the ability to plan, coordinate projects effectively, achieve objectives and meet a variety of competing demands and deadlines.
- Managerial skills.
- Ability to prioritise activities.
- Reporting Writing Skills.
- Time Management.
- Analytical skills.
- Exceptional organizer, communicator, multi-tasker and problem-solver.
- Knowledge and understanding of the media industry. Proven record of managing an archival collection within a broadcast environment, preferably a 24-hour news channel.
- Performance Driven
- Team Player
- Solution Driven
- Attentive to Details
- Customer Centered/ Relationship centered
- Approachable, receptive to feedback from others.
Company DescriptionNewzroom Afrika is a premier South African 24-hour TV news channel broadcasting in Southern Africa, East and West Africa.
Posted on 18 Aug 09:46