|Remuneration:||R13750 – R17000 per month Negotiable depending on experience|
|Benefits:||Umbrella Fund (pension and group insurance)|
Job descriptionWe are a dynamic agricultural media company looking for a competent sub-editor who has excellent English and Afrikaans language skills, has a keen eye for detail and can sub-edit, rewrite and translate under pressure. The perfect candidate will be able to:
- Edit copy written by reporters, feature writers and news reporters, to improve spelling and grammatical errors.
- Translate quickly and accurately from Afrikaans to English and vice versa.
- Rewrite material so that it flows or reads better for written, online and broadcast platforms, and adheres to the house style.
- Ensure that a story or news items fits the prescribed word counts or time by cutting or expanding material as and where necessary.
- Write/rewrite headlines to capture the essence of the story.
- Check facts and stories to ensure they are accurate, adhere to copyright laws, are not malicious or go against editorial policy.
- Liaise with journalists and editors regarding submission of work, deadlines, photographs, captions and contact details in articles.
- Indicate to layout artists the need to amend designed copy as and where necessary.
- Identify layout problems/design errors and communicate with the layout artists in this regard.
- Proofread completed pages.
- Work to a page plan to ensure that the right stories appear in the correct sections and editions.
- Keep up to date with sector issues, phrases, technical expressions, terminology, e.g. by reading related publications.
- This is an office-based full-time post – no freelancers will be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a language test.
- CVs may not exceed two pages and must be accompanied by a cover letter.
- Applicants who do not meet the basic requirements, will not be considered.
Company DescriptionPlaas Media is an agricultural media house with products across all types of media platforms, including print, online and broadcast.
- Minimum two years’ experience in subediting and translating semi-technical and popular text, news and articles.
- BA or equivalent post-matric qualification in languages (Afrikaans and English) or linguistics.
- Knowledge of written text such as magazines necessary.
- Knowledge of online text and writing, for example, social media and websites, necessary.
- Exceptional English and Afrikaans spelling and grammatical skills non-negotiable.
- Strong research skills, as the job involves fact checking of articles.
- Experience in the agricultural or related media industries will be to his/her advantage.
- Proficient in Afrikaans and English (read, write and speak English fluently).
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- A self-driven person capable of working alone and in a team.
- Deadline driven and able to work very accurately under pressure.
- Dedicated towards content and brand strategy, and skilled at packaging media products.
- Ideas generator with visual and design sensibility and stellar editorial instincts.
- Knowledge of the media landscape at large.
Posted on 03 Nov 14:18