The Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC) promotes and advances human rights and the rule of law in southern Africa, primarily through strategic litigation support and capacity building. SALC provides technical and monetary support to local and regional lawyers and organisations in litigating human rights and rule of law cases in the region. SALC also provides training in human rights and rule of law issues and facilitates networks of human rights lawyers and organisations throughout southern Africa.
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC) is looking for a Research Assistant in the International Justice cluster to work in our offices in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Research Assistant will work at the SALC offices under the supervision of the International Justice cluster lead. The Research Assistant should be a self-driven individual who is passionate about protecting and advancing human rights in Southern Africa.
The position is a short-term contract position (3 months), starting in February 2022.
- Legal research and writing;
- Research in the field of international criminal law and business & human rights;
- Drafting legal memoranda;
- Factual evidence-based research on matters of international justice;
- Fact-checking legal filings;
- Support advocacy on matters of international justice.
- A degree in law;
- Interest in human rights issues;
- Advanced understanding of international law, including international criminal law and business & human rights law;
- Basic knowledge of implementation of international and regional human rights laws and instruments in Southern Africa;
- Experience working in or focusing on Southern Africa is preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Portuguese or French is highly desirable;
- Excellent research skills including online sources;
- Strong work ethic, a focus on detail, exemplary integrity and a commitment to international justice.
Interested applicants should apply on SALC website and do the following:
- Complete the form;
- Attach a letter of interest;
- Attach a detailed CV;
- Attach an unedited writing sample.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.