Position Title : Regional Research Officer
Duty Station : Pretoria, South Africa
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 15 October 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director for Southern Africa in Pretoria, the direct supervision of the Southern African Migration Management (SAMM) Regional Project Coordinator and the technical supervision of the Regional Thematic Specialist for Migrant Protection and Assistance; and in close coordination with the Senior Labour Mobility and Human Development Specialist in Pretoria and the Migration Research Division at IOM Headquarters and the Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) in Berlin, the successful candidate will be responsible for research and knowledge production undertaken by IOM Regional Office for Southern Africa in the context of the SAMM project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Undertake, develop and support policy-relevant research on migration and contribute to IOM’s regular research publications, including through conducting field research, on behalf of the Regional Migration Data Hub (RMDHub) for Southern Africa. Provide support and guidance for both the Regional and Country Offices in Southern Africa in implementing projects and activities with research and knowledge production components.
- Act as a focal point for the SAMM project-related and other IOM research activities of both the Regional and Country Offices in Southern Africa with a view to responding to external and internal research queries.
- Provide inputs and support for the development of policy-relevant research and other relevant activities on migration in the context of the Regional Migration Data Hub for Southern Africa (RMDHub).
- Contribute to the development of an outreach strategy to secure potential contributors and build a community of researchers, academics, policymakers, practitioners and other interested parties working on migration issues related to the Southern African region.
- In collaboration with the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) unit, coordinate regional Flow Monitoring (FM) activities aimed at collecting and analysing data at key area of transit in the Southern African region. Assist the DTM unit with quantitative and qualitative research activities relating to humanitarian and displacement situations in the region.
- Assist in the organization and implementation of national and regional training on migration data collection and research methods, including regarding the development and consolidation of migration data harmonization guidelines.
- Maintain close working relations with governmental research institution counterparts.
- Organize appropriate trainings and workshops with Implementing Partners and staff on issues related to research with an aim to introduce and strengthen understanding of the importance of research.
- Draft reports and identified sections of mission policy and strategy documents as well as mission public information materials.
- With a focus on research and knowledge production, assist in the identification of new programme/project possibilities consistent with expressed Government needs and IOM’s mandate and strategy in Southern Africa; on this basis, assist in the formulation/development of project proposals.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Social Science, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience or
• University degree in the above field of study with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in research, in particular quantitative and qualitative methods;
• Experience in drafting policy briefs;
• Experience managing research projects, working with consultants and content editing;
• Good knowledge of, and previous experience working on, migration issues in the Southern African region;
• Experience producing visibility materials, publications, reports and other documents;
• Experience working with statistical software, such as SPSS or STATA, and databases is a distinct advantage.
• Good knowledge of IOM’s work in the areas of Migrant Protection and Assistance and Labour Mobility and Human Development;
• Excellent drafting and editing skills;
• Good understanding of regional migration trends and dynamics.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Portuguese, or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.p df
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 October 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 02.10.2020 to 15.10.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2020 211 Regional Research Officer (P2) Pretoria, South Africa (56657046) Released
Posting: Posting NC56657047 (56657047) Released