|Remuneration:||R6000 per month Basic salary|
|Location:||Cape Town, Salt River|
Come and join our family!
We’re a social impact organisation with a simple purpose: We help businesses hire the best young individuals. We do this because we believe that talent is equally distributed but that opportunity is not. We exist to make sure that every first-time job seeker is given a fair chance at growing their career. By doing this, we hope to deliver on our mission of making more career opportunities more accessible to more first-time jobseekers, more often.
Are you with us? Let’s see.
Right now, we’re slightly under-resourced (slightly being a slight under-exaggeration). We have a team of six people (all of whom started as interns with us), who have grown into key family members – and three of them have been promoted to heads of department. You see, we have a policy in the company that we only hire people through our platform and that we will never hire anyone into the business who is more senior than someone already in the business.
In short: If you join us now, you’re basically joining while we’re still on the ground floor and you’ll grow as quickly as we grow.
Test number 1: You’ll be asked in your screening form what your favourite cuisine is. One of the options will be “I don’t eat.” You have to select this.
So, what will you be doing? A lot of things… hopefully, things that excite you.
Our biggest need is someone who finds joy in keeping things organised, is a lover of all things admin (apparently these people exist) and who is willing to learn pretty much anything and everything about the business. You’ll spend a large amount of your time working directly with me (Jaryd, the slightly crazy but super passionate founder). I’m the opposite of organised and I need some ying to balance my yang.
The title of this position is irrelevant. It says “office all-rounder intern” but you can make whatever you want out of it. “Office legend”, “founders little helper”, “chief organisation intern”. Really, the ball’s in your court here and your role will be as wide, diverse and growth-worthy as you can make it.
Soft-skills you gotta have in your toolkit:
- Cognitive curiosity – Are you ready to learn anything and everything?
- Humble collaboration – Not all work is glamorous. Can you suck it up and get on with it?
- Totally transparent – We share everything no matter how stupid it makes us look or feel.
- Autonomously accountable – We don’t micro-manage (read: we don’t manage).
- Growth mindset – You need to be a dreamer. You need to be unafraid of big challenges, brick walls and long hours. We’re solving huge, systemic issues here and we’re all in.
- Very comfortable on a computer (we’re an online platform, duh)
- A good written communicator as you’ll be engaging with loads of stakeholders (candidates, customers, board members, industry partners, etc.)
- Well organised. Seriously. If you aren’t a religious i-dotter and t-crosser, this gig isn’t for you.
Some of the things you’ll be doing in the short term (the long term is your oyster):
- Helping me (Jaryd, chief intern) arrange my work life. This includes my diary, to-do list, bus dev pipeline, follow-up emails, etc.
- Being first-in-line to answer incoming office calls… “How you doin’?”
- Assisting with ad hoc tasks for different team members – they also get snowed under sometimes
- Planning fun events for the team on special occasions
- Taking minutes in team meetings
- Staying on top of daily metrics by tracking and reporting on job applications
- Making sure we know about all college/university career expos and services
- Various research
- Chatting to candidates on our platform and via email to answer their questions
This is really up to you. If you want to stay in an administrative role, then you’re first-in-line to be our one day chief admin officer. If you want to grow into a customer-facing role, then I’m sure that Rendani would love to train you to join her team. Louise would do the same if you’re more intrigued by the candidate side of the business.
Do you have a passion for design, writing or creativity in general? That’s cool. Let’s try to get you to use these talents and maybe you can set up this division for us internally. Are you a techie or data nerd? Rad. Lots of room for growth here as well. Literally, the future is your oyster.
The final test: You have the option to do something extraordinary to get this job. We don’t know what it is… do you? All we know is that it has to be creative and it has to include the hashtag: #GiveTheYouthAChance. Surprise us.
Please note: In order to apply to this and other internships, please click on the apply button which will take you to the interns’ platform – www.trustedinterns.co.za . Register your profile and you can go ahead and apply.
Posted on 19 Feb 10:31