mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based, global NGO that unlocks the potential of mothers and their families through scalable, high-impact interventions to women and children, their families and communities. m2m’s peer-based Mentor Mother Model has proven effective in improving the health of women and their children, reducing mother-to-child HIV transmission rates, and generating significant savings on HIV treatment costs, while empowering HIV-positive women through training and employment. mothers2mothers programme scope includes HIV prevention, care and treatment for all, comprehensive reproductive, maternal, neonatal, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH), early childhood development, comprehensive adolescent health & youth development with particular focus on orphans and vulnerable children; capacity building/technical assistance to local partners, Lead Implementing partners and government ministries for quality programme service delivery. m2m continues to expand our reach through sustainable social and behavioural change communication interventions integrated across all our core technical programmes.
The Senior Technical Advisor Adolescent Health and Youth development will lead the design and implementation of evidence-based Adolescent Health and Youth Development (AHYD) programmes, providing technical support and guidance to country teams on AHYD issues as well as spearheading quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives across AHYD projects. The STA will lead knowledge management, keep abreast of and share up to date knowledge and information in the field.
The Senior Technical Advisor AHYD reports to the Senior Programme Lead, Department of Programmes and Technical Support.
Key Performance Areas:
Technical Design and oversight
- Lead the design of m2m’s comprehensive adolescent health framework, using globally acceptable participatory approaches among ABYM/AGYW
- Develop and pilot a concept on youth development interventions as a key enabler to adolescent health and wellbeing
- Provide high quality technical assistance in the design, rollout/start-up and implementation of m2m’s AHYD projects and or interventions across all levels of m2m’s programme development cycle including start-up, rollout, implementation support, AFELs, programme reporting etc)
- Conduct on-going needs assessment and advice country teams on programme enhancement and realignment, based on routine analysis of programme data, operations research and evaluation
- Coordinate development, finalization, updating, and continuous review of project workplans, MEL plans and reports for projects supported
- Support quality implementation of AHYD work among m2m countries; providing backstop and coordination through regular meetings and check-ins
- Liaise with country teams to facilitate successful implementation of DPTS-led programme projects including the recently developed eService delivery range and HIISP
- Assist in Target setting for AHYD programmes in close collaboration with Strategic Information and STA colleagues
- Contribute to the development of systems, processes, procedures, materials and tools to support country programmes
- Support review, interpretation, and monitoring of monthly and quarterly technical reports
- Provide training and mentorship to implementation teams across countries; this may include developing standard operating procedures, implementation and QA/QI tools that can be adapted by country teams
- Liaise with other DPTS units to facilitate successful implementation of country programmes.
Quality Assurance and Quality improvement
- Provide on-going implementation support for m2m’s Bring it on! Quality assurance and Quality improvement initiative across all AHYD projects
- Coordinate routine Head Office led monthly/quarterly QA/QI meetings with countries, including documentation, synthesis, and follow-up of action plans with responsible staff
- Conduct desk reviews, develop and disseminate best practice reports, including quarterly Project BIO (quality improvement) reports.
- Develop standard operating procedures, implementation guidelines and programme tools that can be adapted by country teams
- Support the review of training materials and job aides
- Coordinate and conduct regular RMNCH check-in meetings for designated projects
- Assist in managing projects, including multi-country learning workshops
- Lead the conceptualization of new AHYD projects as part of m2m’s business development/ or fundraising including technical analysis of requests for funding applications, development of design matters and programme logic models in liaison with m2m country teams
- Provide innovative and responsive technical direction including skills development to increase m2m’s AHYD portfolio
- Write and/or contribute to the development of funding proposals, concept notes, PowerPoint presentations and other technical materials as requested by the donors
Representation and Advocacy
- Participate in global networks to represent m2m and advocate for increased commitments to m2m’s AHYD strategies
- Design or contribute to research and analysis to develop AHYD strategies, including operations research
- Provide up?to?date, evidence based technical and policy briefs, and develop or manage the creation of evidence? based program standards with key stakeholders.
- Participate in program design and development of implementation activities (strategic planning, program presentation, advocacy and policy meetings), as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of team (both global and country) work plans and budgets, ensuring consistency with project direction and strategy.
- Supervise consultants, Program Officers, Interns and mentor them to facilitate professional growth and development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters Degree in Public Health, Medicine, Pharmacy, Nutrition, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in non-profit/NGO/international development or philanthropic programme or project management, with a focus on public health, HIV/AIDS, Adolescent Health and Youth Development
- Experience with project management and technical quality assurance. Experience working with peer-to-peer models is and added advantage.
- Experience in developing standard operating procedures, reports, work plans and coordinating cross-organizational processes – is essential.
- Experience of writing funding/business development concept notes and proposals and reports.
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa and with multi-cultural teams.
- Experience working with diverse groups of stakeholders such as government, NGOs, funders and private-sector partners.
- Experience with U.S. Government-funded programmes, multilateral and bilateral donors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent writing skills including analytical reports and proposals.
- Strong research, analytical and interpretative skills.
- Highly organized, reliable, with excellent attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and work to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.