VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. We bring key stakeholders together to co-ordinate collective action, from local organisations to national governments. Our programmes in Africa and Asia focus on health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience, peace building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change that will improve the lives of generations to come.
Is People Management your thing? Do you see the value in supporting managers and colleagues with professional people practice. Could you work in an adaptive environment, with new projects, new locations and new people a daily occurrence?
VSO has recently organised the oversight of their programme implementation into a global team. The team operates from a range of different countries, and we are looking for an experienced People Lead to work with them. This is an operational HR job, working with employees and volunteers across a range of different contexts and countries in Africa and Asia. We are looking for an energetic experienced people professional to join us. This is an excellent time to join this newly forming team, a time to influence change, and to embrace the development in people practice and work that are emerging as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• A recognized professional qualification in Human Resources Management or equivalent in HR leadership experience.
• Significant generalist Human Resources or People Business Partner experience gained working at a senior level in a volunteering/ non-governmental organisational context.
• Substantial experience of creating, influencing, and developing a high performing, globally dispersed team,
• Ability to understand business/organisation purpose and the role that people management can play in adding value.
• Sound commercial and financial awareness of people costs, operational costs and working with grant and contract funding.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, able to build relationships and influence across the organisation.
• Considerable experience managing professional and collaborative relationships with managers and employees at all levels.
• Experience of cross-cultural working and an understanding of issues of inclusion and diversity
Use of digital applications
• Knowledge and experience of Human Resource
• Information systems (preferably Salesforce) and
• Microsoft 365, with the ability to produce HR/ People data reports and analyse for decision making.
Competencies and Behaviour
This role will be based in Kenya or South Africa, the successful candidates must have access to a secure network for home working. We will assess applicants based on their technical HR and People experience and these core competencies:
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
Once you’re ready to apply, click on ‘make an application’ below to complete the online form.