Purpose of the Role (Position Summary):
The SI/MER Manager is responsible for systems related to the design, management and monitoring of progress against the project’s indicators and targets. She/he is responsible for ensuring integrity and sound design for the collection of data feeding into the CDS program and into USAID/PEPFAR reporting platforms. She/he ensures that staff at all levels of project implementation are trained and prepared to fulfill their roles in reporting timely, complete and high-quality data. She/He supports the SIR Director in overall management of USAID reporting systems. She/he supports the Director in the accomplishment of the MER functions, related to results achievement and further strengthens the Implementing Partners data collection and reporting systems and practices through providing data quality support. The manager will act as the head of the MER unit when SIRD is not available and will be responsible for ensuring that the unit operates and serves CDS efficiently. She/He supervises and manages the SI Officers in all aspects of their work and ensures intensive partner management and consistent follow up on MER issues.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Provide technical oversight and support in ensuring robust monitoring and evaluation of CDS results and in the reporting of core and customized indicator data to USAID/PEPFAR.
- Ensures regular analysis of project performance data and work closely with the Data Analyst to produce custom data visuals to better understand performance and guide progress towards targets at a granular level and identify quality gaps; consistent dissemination of indicator results at all levels within FHI 360 level and that feedback is given to partners on performance in a way that is focused on program and performance improvements.
- Advise on and help design innovative data collection systems and contribute to real-time data being available for analysis.
- Work closely with the COP and technical teams in supporting performance-related trouble shooting and facilitating timely resolution of the issues at CDS and implementing partner levels.
- Strengthen the capacity and supervise FHI 360 staff (CDS SI/MER Officers and Data Coordinators) and local partners to be alert of the latest best practices in M&E and to develop and implement SI/M&E systems in line with donor requirements, through formal training and regular mentoring .
- Supervise and support the data management, analysis, partner-level data validations and other quality management-related initiatives linked to the PEPFAR indicator data sets, ensuring that a living project-wide Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is in place for managing the Data Management and Data Quality Assurance (DQA) system.
- Takes full responsibility for implementation of data validation activities across all implementing partners, ensuring that tools are updated as necessary and that a periodic schedule for these activities is developed and adhered to; that reports are received and results entered into a database and improvement action plans are implemented effectively in line with best practices.
- Further program learning and adaptation through analysis and triangulation of data, documenting program successes and contributing to the production of analytical and technical reports, contributing to any operations or implementation research, evaluations, presentations and related publications.
- Any other related tasks as assigned by the SIR Director or COP.
- Five (5) years’ experience as an SI/MER Manager or Senior Officer/Advisor in USAID/PEPFAR funded programs.
- Knowledge of HIV, health and development programs in developing countries in general and Sub-Saharan Africa specifically.
- Sound knowledge and experience regarding health M&E, data quality assurance/quality improvement and their specificities.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections.
- Experience managing, supervising and building the capacity of SI/MER Officers and Data Coordinators as well as implementing partner level MER staff.
- Capacity to consistently provide technical inputs on the CDS project to improve the quality of HIV and AIDS service delivery or technical assistance.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain healthy, productive working relationships among project staff and implementing partners.
- Ability to represent FHI360 to donors, government officials and the NGO community.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, including presentation and training skills.
- Ability to manage work independently, set realistic priorities and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- High level communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills and willingness to undertake additional responsibilities as necessary and ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Well developed computer skills.
Travel: Up to 40%
Qualifications and Requirements:
Masters’ Degree in Public Health or Social Sciences or similar degree with 5 to 7 years’ relevant experience with at least 5 years’ progressive experience in senior program-level M&E leadership position in a large HIV/AIDS program at national or international level.
Sound practical knowledge of strategic information, MER indicator Frameworks, Health Information Systems and MER plan development and the use of relevant software for data management or analysis.
Proven experience in M&E system development, management and planning and facilitating related technical training.
Familiarity with USAID and PEPFAR programs is required.
Supervisory and management experience.
Experience with analyzing or utilizing health program datasets, databases or electronic medical records, platforms like DHIS 2, Open MRS, Tier.Net, etc.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package , professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.