mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
To coordinate all of the M&E activities within m2m CHAMP, with the aim of measuring program performance, improving quality of data, all M&E coordination in the province and reporting program activities to m2m donors. As with all m2m CHAMP management staff, the MEC works in close collaboration with local partners to achieve optimal program results. This position reports to the SI Manager and has a close working relationship with the Senior program Manager and Regional coordinators.
Key Performance Areas
• Work in collaboration with colleagues and stakeholders to implement m2m’s monitoring & evaluation plan for CHAMP
• Supervise the implementation of all M&E activities, including site level data collection, timely reporting, interpretation, and analysis
• Work with the SI Manager to ensure team learning and recommendation of replication of good practice based on trends development from quarterly program learning and review processes.
• Encourage routine utilization of CHAMP program data at all levels, and support program adaptations as indicated
• Provide training to m2m management and field staff on M&E topics as needed
• Participate in the implementation and evaluation of pilot projects where appropriate
• Liaise with the PDOH and other partners at all levels to ensure smooth and effective program implementation and ensure active participation of CHAMP in strategic PDOH and other developmental partners’ M & E processes
• Work closely with the Regional Program Coordinator in planning supportive supervision visit to enhance good performance among site level staff and also ensure engagement with both community and facility partners.
• Assist with additional program management activities at the request of the Programme manager
• Communicate and work closely with the CoP, SI Manager and m2m Head Office
• Provide line management and leadership to the DQA and data capturers including setting of key performance indicators and regular performance management.
Qualifications and Experience
• Relevant Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience (Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Public Health or related discipline)
• Minimum of 5 years’ sound experience in programme monitoring and evaluation
• Minimum of 5 years’ specific M&E related work experience in the health sector, experience with HIV/AIDS, PMTCT or OVC is preferred and recommended
• Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of M&E systems, involving capacity building for field staff, as well as monitoring and promotion of data quality
• Functional knowledge in M&E reporting to USG/PEPFAR and other bilateral or multilateral donors preferred.
• Proven ability to mentor programme site staff in M&E, data use for decision-making and quality improvement
• Sound knowledge of South Africa Health Information Systems framework
• Computer skills with work experience using MS Office applications, competence in programming and analysis of data using programs such as SAS, SPSS, Epi-Info, STATA or others is an advantage
• Good written and verbal communications skills in English and in a local language is preferred
• Strong facilitation, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
• Strong analytical and creative thinking ability
• Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member with multidisciplinary teams