1 Year Fixed Term Contract
The Power Africa Off-Grid Project (PAOP) is a four-year USAID-funded project to promote off-grid electrification in 12 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The project is headquartered in Pretoria, South Africa. PAOP provides technical assistance to key sector stakeholders, including private sector off-grid companies, investors, and government agencies.
PAOP is seeking qualified applicants for a Human Resources (HR) Officer to support the HR unit of the project.
The HR Officer will be responsible for the HR administration of the Project. S/he will be responsible for providing administrative support to functions such as recruitment, payroll, personnel policies and, regulatory compliance for the project. The HR Officer will also recommend and administer effective personnel policies and procedures that abide by the legal requirements and the sound practice of the HR field. He /She will provide administrative support to managers regarding payroll, leave management, performance management administration, training and other personnel issues in collaboration with the HR Manager, project management and/or the Regional HR office.
The position will be offered on a 1-year fixed term contract which may be renewable. The successful individual will report to the project HR Manager and will work out of the Pretoria Office, South Africa.
This post is offered on a Local National Contract – local compensation and benefit plan applies.
Only applications from SA Citizens will be considered.
Essential Duties :
HR Policy Compliance and Statutory Requirements
- Ensure full compliance of HR policy guidelines and country employee handbooks in tandem with local labor laws, client rules and regulations, RTI policies, values, ethics, procedures and strategies, effective implementation of the internal control framework and proper functioning of the HR policy framework.
- Ensure compliance with labor laws and maintain accurate and timely statutory reporting (EE, SDL, WCA, UIF etc).
Recruitment, Selection, Onboarding and Employee Contracting
- Disseminate HR communication, priorities, and allocated tasks, and ensure strict adherence to procedures in the area of selection and recruitment of temporary and longer-term staff.
- Organization of recruitment processes through the provision of input to job posting, short-listing process, screening of candidates, setting up and participation in interviews including documentation processing for offers and deployment.
- Orientation and induction focal person; Provides information to staff members on their employment conditions and entitlements, including on-entry briefings, facilitate orientation and file orientation reports as espoused in the project on orientation and induction.
- Coordinate preparation of contracts through timely preparation and submission of Personnel Action Forms and offer request memos.
Employee Benefits Administration
- Track Private Medical Insurance (PMI) expiry dates and support the renewals process.
- Track retirement and group life insurance expiry dates and support the renewals process.
- Administer the employee benefit engagement, transfer and termination processes.
Payroll Administration (Full Function)
- Capture, process and reconcile monthly salaries.
- Accurate processing of new employees, transfers, promotions, and terminations; ensure correct documentation are submitted for processing.
- Ensure accurate timesheet reporting procedures are adhered to including the filing of approved timesheets.
- Maintain Employee Data (Bank Details, Addresses, etc.).
- Compile termination papers i.e., UIF, Certificate of Service, etc.
- Ensure accurate system leave administration processes are implemented.
- Capture deductions i.e., garnishee orders, insurance, and any other personal and statutory deductions.
- Upload relevant documentation to SAGE 300.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Maintain compliance with prevailing legislation, in particular tax laws.
- Identify, analyse and correct discrepancies, anomalies and abnormal pay data and reports before finalizing payrolls.
- File all correspondences and scan in relevant drives, Sage People system and personnel files.
- Ensure February tax year end and August reconciliation.
- Assist with employee queries with respect to pay, package structures, indicative net pay/dummy payslip calculations and deductions.
- Support the HR Manager with any other payroll management functions.
- Maintain HR personnel and non-personnel files.
- Track and compile the project leave schedules, setting up all staff absence by receiving and filing leave authorizations, performing the functions of absence monitoring and recording, advise staff on their leave entitlements and resolve leave queries.
- Support HR Manager in ensuring proper staff performance management process in the project including performance planning, documentation of reviews, and end of year performance appraisal and ensure deadlines for documentation and analysis are met.
- Assist in fostering of project staff learning initiatives with the consultation of the HR Manager, recommending and enrolling project teams into short-term courses that are beneficial to the project and in accordance with RTI University courses and individual learning plans.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3 years generalist HR work experience with 2 years’ solid focus in at least 2 HR areas (skills development, employment equity, workman’s compensation, employee relations, talent management etc.).
- 2 years full function Sage 300 People Payroll administration experience with working knowledge of relevant SARS submissions.
- Experience working with UIF, COID, EE, SD, OHS and related regulatory submissions.
- Experience working on HRIS (e.g., Oracle, Taleo, PeopleSoft, VIP etc.).
- Completed courses in Sage People (Payroll Basic Part 1 & 2; Payroll recon, Tax year end, People leave & Personnel Management) Highly advantageous.
- Coordinating HR Activities for multiple countries in Africa – Highly advantageous.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Culturally sensitive and respectful
- Professional integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Influencing and coaching skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently and within matrix project and program teams
- Knowledge of the local labor law
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel (intermediate to advanced level)
- Demonstrates commitment to RTI’s mission, vision and values.
- Previous experience in an NGO and within a regional context will be advantageous
- Experience within a donor funded organisation e.g. USAID will be advantageous
- Ability to travel when required
Only applications from South African Citizens who meet the required criteria will be considered.
Applications: Interested applicants should submit their application in English – detailed CV including names and contact details (telephone numbers and email addresses) of at least three (3) contactable referees (supervisors) – to https://rtiint.referrals.selectminds.com/international/jobs/human-resources-officer-5106
Important Notice: This position is open only to South African Nationals. RTI International reserves the right not to fill this vacancy or to close the advert prior to the stipulated closing date. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 12 weeks from the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.