Growthpoint provides space to thrive with innovative and sustainable property solutions. We are an international property company with assets on three continents and the largest South African primary REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) listed on the JSE. We own and manage a diversified portfolio of over 550 property assets, locally and internationally.
Growthpoint is a FTSE/JSE Top 40 Index company, a constituent of the FTSE EPRA/NAREIT Emerging Index and is in the FTSE4Good Emerging Index and FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index.
Job Title: Building Manager
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reference #: BLM56 – Building Manager
Contract Type: Permanent
To ensure that building assets are optimally maintained throughout their life cycle in accordance with approved budget through effective and efficient management of in house and outsourced services.
Duties and responsibilities:
• To set and implement planned/preventative/emergency maintenance in conjunction with the Property and Portfolio Managers, as well as disaster and emergency planning
• To ensure that life cycle planning and preventative maintenance plans over a 3, 5 and 10-year period are set for properties under management
• To ensure effective asset control by setting and managing the asset register
• To implement energy saving programs (‘green’ principles), environmental and sustainability methodology in the portfolio
• To prepare and manage the technical budget (Capex and R&M) including forecasts and budget variance reports
• To contribute to the SLA’s for approved service providers in conjunction with the Procurement team
• To ensure that compliance is maintained with building and statutory regulations
• To manage and respond timeously to technical complaints and queries received by clients, and identify trends in complaints
• To manage the relationship with the tenants, including tenant installations and asserting budgetary control
• To conduct inspections, including technical, housekeeping, service contract and Take on and take back inspections
• To manage and coordinate staff activities and deliverables, implementing work schedules and effectively using the company performance and development management system
• To manage both “hard” and “soft” services, monitoring the quality of services and deliverables provided by suppliers, ensuring they are within budget by negotiating the advantageous pricing structures, as well as effective utilization of municipal and utility management
• To prepare required technical and financial reports and feedback reports to management on issues
• To stay abreast of changing technical market trends
Qualifications and Experience:
• Certificate or Diploma or BSc in Property Studies / Building Science/ Facilities Management and minimum 3 years’ property or Built Environment experience.
• A technical tertiary qualification in Mechanical or Electrical or Civil/Structural Engineering will be an added advantage
5 years’ property experience in a building electrical work.
Exposure to the following
• Knowledge of safety, fire and emergency procedures will be advantageous
• Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act and relevant legislation will be advantageous
• Knowledge of SLA’s and lease agreements will be advantageous
• Knowledge of basic technology in building (electrical, plumbing and construction) is extremely essential
• Knowledge of mechanical and air-conditioning systems is extremely essential
• Knowledge of day-to-day operations (cleaning, security) is extremely essential
Competencies and Skills:
• Stakeholder Focus
• Managing and developing Relationships
• Decision Making
• Managing and Developing People
• Problem Solving
• Coping with Pressure and Change
• Ability to work after hours and on weekends when required
• Must be willing to a hands-on approach – electrical, plumbing, HVAC installations, fire regulations.
Application Deadline: 03/05/2021