mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit http://www.m2m.org.
The role of the Senior Technical Proposal Writer is to work collaboratively to conceptualize and write and/or compile proposals, concept notes, reports, etc. for a variety of funders, including USG (USAID, PEPFAR, CDC), UK (DfiD), European Union, bilateral/multilateral, foundations, and corporations. This role will lead/participate in proposal strategy, design, writing, and review sessions throughout the life of the proposal. The Senior Technical Proposal Writer will lead the writing for proposals across a range of programme activities, including HIV/AIDS, PMTCT, health systems strengthening, TB, early childhood development, orphans and vulnerable children, malaria, adolescent health, and reproductive, maternal and child health. This role will primarily focus on proposal writing. This position may also coordinate the proposal process.
Key Performance Areas:
Lead Technical Writing
- Leads the conceptualization, writing, and/or compiling of proposals, approaches, concept notes, reports, etc., for a variety of funders, including: PEPFAR/USG, bilaterals/multilaterals, foundations, and corporations;
- Leads the technical writing for and review of proposals across a broad range of programme activities, including PMTCT, HIV, health systems strengthening, adolescent health, orphans and vulnerable children, early childhood development, reproductive and maternal and child health
- Provide technical support required for proposal development, including formative research and program design rationale, budgets, log frames, work plans, and other programmatic components.
- Produce content quickly and juggle several writing/editing projects concurrently;
- Create, review and contribute to proposal outlines and compliance matrices as part of the above
- Coordinate inputs from subject matter experts (internal team members and external stakeholders) to prepare material for proposals, including interviewing technical experts and/or reviewing and revising text prepared by technical experts;
- Work collaboratively with field-based, Head Office, and US/UK -based m2m staff, providing leadership to conceptualize and write and/or compile proposals, concept notes, including technical and management sections
- Leads proposal process with Country Directors and senior m2m staff (US, UK, HO) to deliver compliant, competitive proposals to the client on time. Oversees the entire proposal process—from capture through development and submission—in close collaboration with proposal design leads and proposal teams.
- Manages every aspect of the proposal development process, including ensuring the use of business development systems, processes and best practices to develop the most responsive and competitive proposals.
- Responsible for the successful submission of the proposal.
- Works on multiple proposals at varying stages of development simultaneously and largely independently.
- Creates the proposal calendar, tracks technical and cost proposal progress to ensure milestones are met, and ensures that every member of the proposal team, including sub- and prime partners, knows what is expected of him/her and when tasks are due.
- Provides detailed and strategic analyses of solicitations, develops requirements list and submission information according to solicitation instructions.
- Distributes essential material and updates to the proposal team (Country Directors, Director of Department of Program and Technical Services, Country Management Unit, International Operations, etc.) and sends follow-up emails to the team with the details of the proposal and timeline for completion.
- Contributes to partnering decisions/negotiations; assists in securing resources, such as external consultants and writers.
- Coordinates with in country and HQ Finance teams to develop best-value cost strategies and ensure a unified strategy in both technical and cost proposals.
- Oversees the collection of all required proposal forms, materials, etc. as stipulated in the funders’ requests for proposals (solicited and unsolicited concept papers/LOIs, full proposals, etc.).
- Quality-controls proposal components to ensure compliance with donor requirements and m2m standards and competitiveness prior to submission.
- Assembles and submits complete proposals, including technical and cost elements.
- Leads and contributes to organizational learning, through analysis of proposal successes and failures, analysis of m2m competitiveness and the funding environment, and active participation in shared learning across all entities and country offices;
- Ensures relevant tracking systems and proposal files are kept up-to-date, including SalesForce.
- Builds strong relationships with colleagues across multiple departments to facilitate collaborative proposal development and to continually improve proposal and business development processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, plus 5 years of relevant experience OR M.A., or equivalent experience in public health, international relations, development, journalism, or a related field plus 3 years of relevant experience;
- Minimum of 7 years of work experience in the international development/public health field;
- Minimum 5 years of proposal development experience for USG Agencies (USAID, CDC, PEPFAR) and other bilateral/multilaterals, foundations, and corporates;
- Demonstrated success in writing proposals, technical briefs/concept notes, capability statements;
- Excellent writing and editing skills; and
- In-depth knowledge of public health-related topics.
- Demonstrated success writing proposals, specifically with institutional donors, such as USAID, FCDO, PEPFAR, UNICEF, etc., corporates, foundations, and trusts;
- Extensive experience in developing technical proposals, budgets, log frames, work plans, and other proposal sections;
- Ability to convey complex ideas effectively and in a compelling manner to internal and external audiences;
- Demonstrated knowledge of international development, in particular, global health issues;
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently in teams under tight deadlines;
- Exceptional organization, analytical, strategic planning, and research skills;
- Proven ability to successfully work across departments and countries under an international NGO structure; preferably experience in living and/or working in Sub-Sahara Africa
- Prior success coordinating proposals for foundations and institutional donors;
- Excellent and proven ability to initiate and organize work, establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Provides resolution to an assortment of problems of differing and complex scope amongst senior staff;
- Flawlessly attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks;
- Makes timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, goals, constraints, and risks;
- Passionate about the region with a deep knowledge of m2m’s mission, messages, and key funding priorities;
- The ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- Excellent inter-personal ability;
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary.