mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
The Budget Officer will be working in the County Management Unit directly reporting to a Finance Business Partner (FBP). The Budget Officer will be responsible for analysis of m2m country budgets; maintenance, updating and reviewing of Adaptive, m2m’s budgeting system; provision of support to m2m country finance teams, and other duties as assigned. The Budget Officer will work across the full portfolio of m2m countries.
Key Performance Areas
• The Budget Officer will play a critical role to establish routine detailed budget vs actual analysis across m2m’s countries.
• Report back to the FBP’s (Finance Business Partners) on the detailed differences between budget and actuals.
• Improve and maintain the monthly budgeting process.
• Design budget review reports to iron out any common budget vs actuals discrepancies.
• Support the FBPs with proposal budgets as needed.
• Stand in for FBPs in their absence.
• Support Finance Department in cash reconciliation of all projects (Award Currency and Cash Received) with guidance from the FBP
• Follow up with country finance managers on action points from monthly resource review meetings related to budgeting.
• Track finance reporting milestones and ensure all reports are submitted by the finance managers and FBP’s.
• Other country support tasks as assigned.
• Review of support documentation for payments in countries with no Country Finance Manager
• Assist with processing of project modifications (both internal and external) upon receipt from Grants & Compliance.
• Maintain a schedule of project timelines to assist the FBP in following up with finance managers for projects that are closing.
• Prepare ad hoc reports to donors in the SA, UK or US entity.
Qualification and Experience
• Recognized Accounting/Business degree;
• At least 3 years in a finance analytical role;
• Focused and versatile team player that is comfortable under pressure;
• Analytical and problem solving skills;
• Structured and process driven;
• Highly proficient on excel and quick learner on accounting packages;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Ability to work on own, within various teams, and to provide constructive support and teaching to others;
• Experience working in diverse cultural and multi-country contexts a plus;
• Ability to manage competing tasks and to prioritize and produce high level output consistently