To join its Pretoria Office in South Africa
The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (DG ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. ECHO works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
ECHO is recruiting One National Staff to be based in Pretoria as an Administrative & Finance Assistant.
1. Duties & Responsibilities
The Administrative and Finance Assistant (AFA) will be based in Pretoria and will plan and execute all necessary office administrative, financial accounting and logistic functions. The employee shall carry out finance, accounting and administration duties, crisis support on finance and human resources and other related duties. The Administration and Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following main tasks: –
- Reviews and registers all invoices, payment and reimbursement requests from internal and external parties,
- Creates and make all payments and revenue records and preparation of salary files,
- Prepare monthly cash position and monitor bank accounts for replenishment,
- Prepare annual budgets and its amendments,
- Performs monthly financial reports and closures,
· Draft administrative requests and financial narrative reports,
· Maintain administrative files and follow-up employment and service contracts,
· Follow up medical/accident insurance files,
· Ensures timely provision of goods and services for office,
· Perform other related duties as required.
A detailed Terms of references (including competencies) are available at https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/south-africa_en
2. Required Qualifications
- A relevant first level university degree or equivalent professional experience. Candidates without such degree should prove a minimum of 8 years relevant working experience on top of the hereunder mentioned experience,
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience at national or international level in the area of administration or programme support service including experience in procurement, human resources and finances,
§ Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage.
3. Required Skills
· Accuracy, high sense of organisation skills, strong motivation,
· Good drafting and communication skills and ability to meet deadlines,
- Fluent written and spoken English are required,
- Good knowledge of French And/or Portuguese language will be considered as an advantage,
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, ERP tool, etc),
· Capable of working under pressure, in a multitasking position and in a multicultural environment.
How to apply
How to apply
Applications including a cover letter, a detailed CV, a copy of education certificates, degree and a copy of relevant employment certificates should be sent to http://uhiredme.com/AFA-PRY until 17/05/2021 at 18:00h . The vacancy reference REF: “ECHO/AFA/PRY” must be clearly indicated in the subject line. This position is open to nationals and other residents of South Africa with a valid work and residence permits. DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and developments opportunities.
For information, the employment conditions that could be proposed includes an initial contract of one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 3 months’ probationary period and after positive annual evaluation. As an indication, the monthly basic salary range is between ZAR 26,260 (minimum) and 53,868(maximum) (subject to local tax law). The salary will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate. In addition to this, the employee will also receive disability/retirement allowance, 13 th month salary as well as a medical coverage.
ECHO employees observe the National Staff code of Conduct which is available on the link:
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who will not have been contacted by 31/05/2021 should consider that they have not been selected. Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.
“Any processing of your personal data will be done in accordance with the applicable EU legislation (Regulation (EU)2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data.” The privacy statement can be found on ECHO website. https://ec.europa.eu/echo/sites/echo-site/files/privacy_statement_recruitment_ns_final_version.pdf **