Job descriptionApplications are invited for the above-indicated vacancy within Newzroom Afrika. The Output Editor is directly responsible for the day-to-day running of all members of the output team – ensuring that the overall strategic vision and mission of Newzroom Afrika is achieved at all times. The incumbent will report to the m anaging editor .
A key purpose of this job is to ensure that all content created and all stories generated by every member of the output team is fresh, relevant, accurate, and fair and that the fundamental basics of ethical journalism are always followed and adhered to.
A critical part of this job is also ensuring that there are always correct and updated SOPs and workflows are in place.
The above applies to all work and content that is both on-air and off-air.
- Assist in determining the newsroom's strategic vision and direction
- Constant monitoring of the on-air product, on a daily and even hourly basis
- Ensure all stories/bulletins are 100% accurate
- Ensure that there is a constant flow of fresh news stories
- Ensure news angles are changed often and stories are taken forward in a meaningful manner
- Ensure visuals and overlay are always fresh, relevant, and interesting
- Oversee the compulsory and marked increase in the number of news stories in the news carousel, and ultimately on offer to our viewers. This means working closely with both the input and output teams.
- Offer the necessary support from all in the output team for the implementation of live storytelling daily
- Create a daily news diary for all OPs that is updated frequently as dictated by the SOP – and reflects the current news cycle.
- Hold daily diary meetings with OPs
- Strategize with OPs in terms of how best to do their stories justice and have valuable input in our story-telling strategy.
- All the above must apply to both local, continental and international news.
- Constant training and mentoring of all EPs, OPs, and Bulletin Editors
- Ensuring that the news cycle is properly reflective of what’s happening in South Africa and abroad … and we are NOT missing any news stories.
- Looking holistically at the news bulletins to ensure that they are different and changing through the day
- Relevant, interesting, and updated headlines that reflect what’s happening at the moment.
- Putting strong deliverables in place for all members of the output teams and ensuring deliverables are being met
- Contribute to the maintenance and expansion of NATV’s editorial vision and mission, style guide, and Newzroom Afrika policies and procedures.
- Provide the team with ongoing performance feedback
- 5-7 years Editorial experience within the news environment
- Relevant Tertiary qualification
- Strong Editorial and news judgement
- Experience in leading and managing News teams
- Ability to motive and inspire the team
- Entrench a high performing culture
- Develop Key Performance Areas (KPAs) and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the team
- Ability to delegate and follow-through
- Ability to leverage analytics to inform content production needs
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to stay calm and professional under pressure
- Viewer centric
Company DescriptionNewzroom Afrika is a premier South African 24-hour TV news channel broadcasting in Southern Africa, East and West Africa.
Posted on 12 Oct 15:28, Closing date 21 Oct