Job descriptionApplications are invited for the above-indicated vacancy within Newzroom Afrika. The Input Editor is directly responsible for the day-to-day running of all members of the input team, including reporters, assignment editors and guest producers. The incumbent will report to the m anaging editor .
The input editor must ensure that the overall strategic vision, mission and objectives of Newzroom Afrika are achieved at all times. The successful candidate will ensure a high and constant flow of exclusive, powerful and unique content (both from reporters, anchors and guests).
A key purpose of this job is ensuring a high and constant flow of exclusive, powerful and unique content – both from reporters, anchors and guests.
A critical part of this job is working closely with the news director and editor in chief to ensure the building and retention of the country’s best, strongest and most senior team of reporters – that will set Newzroom Afrika apart from its competitors.
Strategising and innovating around diary, live story-telling and rolling coverage is an integral part of this position and must always be prioritised.
Work closely with the editorial team to deliver on the channel’s market share as set by Multi Choice, the carrier.
- Assist in determining the newzroom’s strategic vision and direction
- Constant monitoring of the on-air product, on a daily and even hourly basis:
- Ensure that all reporters achieve their KPI ,weekly targets when it comes to Exclusives
- Ensure all guest Producers delivering on their weekly targets with exclusive, high profile guests.
- Ensure that guests are always of the highest caliber, have credibility and integrity.
- Ensure all stories and bulletins are 100% accurate and they have been properly subbed
- Ensure that there is a constant flow of fresh news stories
- Ensure reporter angles are changed often and stories are taken forward in a meaningful manner
- Ensure visuals and overlay, accompanying reporter packages are always fresh, relevant and interesting
- Strong QCing of all reporter packages
- Assist in the compulsory and marked increase in the number of news stories in the news carousel, and ultimately on offer to our viewers. This means working closely with all editors on duty.
- Offer the necessary support to business, sport and politics teams and ensure that they feed into the reporter crossings and live story-telling strategy.
- Create a strong daily news diary for all reporters that reflects the current news cycle.
- Set the news agenda in the form of a strong diary
- Hold bi-weekly diary meetings with reporters.
- Constant training and mentoring of reporters, assignment editors and show producer/researcher, guest producers.
- Provide the team with ongoing performance feedback
- Ensuring that the news cycle is properly reflective of what’s happening in South Africa and abroad … and we are NOT missing any news stories.
- Looking holistically at the news bulletins to ensure that they are different and changing through the day
- Relevant, interesting and updated headlines that reflect what’s happening in the moment.
- Putting strong deliverables in place for all members of the input team to ensuring deliverables are being met.
- Contribute to the maintenance and expansion of NATV’s editorial vision and mission, style guide and newsroom policies and procedures.
- 5-7 years editorial experience within the news environment
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- Strong Editorial and news judgement
- Experience in leading and managing News teams
- Good leadership and management skills
- Ability to motive and inspire the team
- Entrench a high performing culture
- Develop Key Performance Areas (KPAs) and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the team
- Ability to delegate and follow-through
- Ability to leverage analytics to inform content production needs
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to stay calm and professional under pressure
- Viewer centric
Company DescriptionNewzroom Afrika is a premier South African 24-hour TV news channel broadcasting in Southern Africa, East and West Africa.
Posted on 12 Oct 15:39, Closing date 21 Oct