Head of Content: TV Programming
|Remuneration:||negotiable Cost to company|
|Benefits:||Within the cost to company package|
We have a sterling job opportunity for a dynamic Head of Content (TV Programming) at a global pop culture brand’s Cape Town HQ. We are looking for a senior candidate with experience conceptualising and producing long and short format TV/Video content in the entertainment and sports space. The ideal candidate is a visionary “storyteller” who can lead, conceptualise and produce content for a global stage, but with a distinctly South African flavour. In this exciting role, you will be responsible for creating and executing a content strategy, lead a team of up to 3 people, manage large budgets and suppliers and be able to co-ordinate and problem solve many moving parts and multiple productions at once. In this role Content could be anything from long and short format TV programming (from 45-minutes to 12-minutes or 3-minute formats) to live streaming and gaming. With the end goal of reaching more viewers and engaging them for as long as possible, the content output should appeal first and foremost to key local audiences and – when possible – also to international viewers.
- To have a vision of what the brand wants to create and ensures year around relevant content for the defined audiences
- Sets quality, cost efficacy, and creative standards for the development, production, and commissioning of content in the market
- Identifies top production partners and talent in the local market, that can deliver innovative, state-of-the-art content from editorial to technical perspectives. Builds and maintains a network of companies, creative professionals, agencies, co-producers, and partners within the specific country
- Establishes strategic co-production opportunities with 3rd party broadcasters, platforms, and brands
- Oversees execution and production of content in collaboration with Production Management, guiding the local team through the process from concept phase to final delivery
- Serves as the main POC for all Content-related matters, aligning and collaborating regularly with the brand’s international producers and HQ stakeholders, ensuring full transparency regarding project status and timelines
- Identifies and develops new story angles for existing projects, genres, and recurring content opportunities
- Cooperates with the brand’s international TV Live producers when live events take place in the country
- Budget Management: Manage the overall content budget. This includes agency and partnership contracts/retainers to ensure optimal and efficient budget spend, focussed on the right priorities, as per the content strategy
The successful candidate must have/be:
- University Degree (ideally in Communications, Journalism, Film Studies or similar)
- Senior content executive or Executive Producer background, with a proven track record for developing and executing content strategy
- 10+ years overall media employment in TV production, commissioning or similar, ideally in factual entertainment, documentary, or reality
- Most recent work experience preferably as a staff member of a major TV network or large production company, or uninterrupted freelance work for top-tier companies
- Proven track record developing and producing distinctive content, long-form, and short-form
- Experience in managing multiple productions, budgets, and partners
- Familiarity with the regional content market (TV, OTT and social networks), including solid relationships within the local creative community
- Sound knowledge of the fundamental principles of storytelling in long and short form programming
- Editorial expertise, with the ability to evaluate and give clear, constructive feedback on ideas, treatments, productions, etc.
- Skills in coordinating and guiding production partners and teams from concept development phase through to production and delivery
- A broad knowledge of all media production methods for creation and delivery - essential
- Additional experience in writing for television, filming, editing, production management and other aspects of development and production
- Clear understanding of the international content market, broadcast strategy, commissioning, programming, audiences, ratings, branded content, etc.
- The ability to work well within a large, international organisation
- A positive, solution-oriented work attitude
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English (additional languages are a plus)
- Able to travel 25% of your time.
Please submit your salary requirements and a relevant portfolio along with your CV on application.
Should you not receive a response within one week, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Company DescriptionVGP Recruitment is a specialist recruitment agency in the advertising, marketing, media, creative, digital, PR/communications and publishing industries.
Posted on 21 Apr 14:42
+27 21 422 1037