Launched in 2010, the Right2Know Campaign (R2K) is a democratic activist led coalition of organisations and activists campaigning to defend and expand the space for participatory democracy and people’s power in South Africa. R2K was launched to oppose the Secrecy Bill and in the last decade our work has expanded to tackle broader issues relating to access to information, freedom of expression, and the right to organise without repression .
Right2Know seeks to appoint a new management team comprising a Movement Coordinator to be based in National Office in Salt River, Cape Town.
The Movement Coordinator will be responsible for overall strategy, governance, legal and fiduciary compliance, and fundraising as well as leadership development and organisational culture. They will work closely with our elected leadership to ensure R2K continues to thrive as a vibrant, democratic and well resourced movement.
The Campaigns Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation of R2K’s advocacy strategy and programmes. They will work closely with our various provincial and thematic activist collectives to ensure impactful campaigns that expand democratic space for everyone in South Africa.
These are opportunities to work with committed comrades around the country to support movement building and popular campaigns that have a real impact on the challenges facing South Africa at this critical period in our democracy.
R2K Movement Coordinator holds the responsibilities of an Executive Director in a traditional NGO – but is expected to work closely with our elected leaders in a more participatory and democratic structure.
- Maintain a knowledge of key organisations, environmental trends, developments to identify risks and opportunities impacting the organisation;
- Ensure R2K develops and reviews our strategy to fulfill the organization’s mission and realise our vision;
- Working with R2K staff and elected leaders to maintain effective participatory decision-making processes characterised by transparency and accountability;
- Ensure R2K is governed in line with our principles and complies with all laws and regulations as well as R2K policies and procedures;
- Ensure sound financial management and long term sustainability of the organisation, including ensuring strategic programmatic partnerships and raising necessary funds;
- Ensure R2K is governed in line with our principles and complies with all laws and regulations, policies and procedures;
- Support the development of Campaign’s leadership and staff;
- Ensure the Campaign promotes equality and culture of creative and respectful comradely relations – incusling taking steps to combat patriarchy, racism, other discrimination and uncomradely conduct;
- Develop, maintain, and review R2K’s operational and governance policies and procedures;
- Lead the management team and manage the finance and administration staff.
- Minimum 5 years proven experience in a comparable management position in the non-profit sector and a relevant tertiary qualification;
- Experience working in diverse democratic activist spaces and lived commitment to democratic principles of the Right2Know;
- Strong grasp of the socio-economic context and law as it impacts on the right to know;
- Experience in developing and evaluating strategic and operational plans;
- In-depth knowledge of non-profit governance and general management best practice especially in a movement context;;
- Strong understanding of financial management and proven ability to raise funds;
- The ability to maintain good working relationships and motivate a diverse range of staff and volunteer activists in flexible team environments;
- Experience managing staff including the application of performance management and other HR systems & policy;
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with multilingualism being an advantage;
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task, pay attention to detail, planning, organising and time management.
To apply upload your CV with 3 contactable references and a cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements listed above online here: https://forms.gle/kPZypt8tpznCS1PD7
To apply upload your CV with 3 contactable references and a cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements listed above:
- Movement Coordinator applications on this form;
R2K is committed to employment equity and all appointments are made in accordance with the Employment Equity Act and our internal policies. We will welcome applications from women, non-binary people, and Blacks.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. R2K reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Job advert online here . queries: 0727249601.